Featured Artist for November: HEYWARD HOWKINS


It was nearing the end of October and I still haven't found my November artist. As the thought was just beginning to settle with a hint of panic, I opened my email only to find a new message waiting there from an artist from Philadelphia. "You probably get a ton of stuff in your inbox" he said, "but I am hoping you will give this a spin." I'm glad he sent me that email.

Heyward Howkins, to say the least, is a rare gem. His poetic lyrics and indie folk tunes create the perfect mood for days you prefer quieter, slower music while cuddled up in a blanket by the fire--especially now that winter is upon us (well, most of you).

Heyward was first brought into the public's attention in the early 2000 when he was the lead guitarist of The Trouble With Sweeney, and opened for My Morning Jacket and OK GO. The band released three EPs and two LPs, landing twice in Rolling Stone's Editor's Top Picks of the Year. He is also a founding member of  The Silver Ages, a critically acclaimed choral group featuring singers of Philadelphia-based bands such as Nighlands, Jens Lekman, National Eye, Like Moving Insects, etc. 

In July this year, he released his first solo LP The Hale and Hearty, which, according to Heyward, features eleven songs grounded in local surroundings, but also effortlessly ventures into more fanciful territory. From the first strum of the guitar in his opening song Thunderin' Stop, later accompanied by a violin, I knew that this album was something special. This title song draws together the entire album's recurring theme of feeling a deep connection to a time and place while simultaneously remaining on the outside. "Go on, have another bump 'til it all feels right," Heyward sings. "Look at your crowd / They are so hale and hearty." 

Here are a few other things I asked Heyward about:
Your lyrics are very powerful, they really tell a story--where do you get the inspiration to write all these?
I usually find or think of a phrase or concept that sparks some themes or context that relates to me on some level. Sometimes it's something I read or just something I hear in conversation. I then build around that. I admit I choose some words because of the sound of them and the way I can deliver them. The lyrics definitely have a deep meaning to me whether literal or otherwise.


I saw on your Facebook page that you're already working on a second album. Can you tell us a bit about that? What can your listeners expect from the album?

Yes. Very excited about that. I have the material written but I am sure by the end there will be a couple more songs that may be in the mix. I definitely wouldn't say it's more of the same. There are some more upbeat songs with slightly more traditional arrangements. Definitely still some weird ones. This record will have a more live band vibe at points. We are recording much of the material live with drums and my guitars and vocals all captured simultaneously. Also, it's all going to tape so there is a nice analog warmth to it all. I guess you could say it will be slightly more "accessible." But usually what I think is a normal song is actually a bit odd so I am curious to see the reaction.

Are you on tour right now? Any shows?
I have been playing a bunch in NYC and Philly. I do plan to go to SXSW this year and hopefully some west coast show in the new year. Trying dig deep into new recording this winter.


Obama or Romney?
Obama...duh!

Here is the fourth song off The Hale & Hearty, Sugar Sand Stitched Up which showcases Heyward's impeccable falsetto which, from time to time, will remind you of Bon Iver. Streaming of the entire album is also available here in Heyward's Bandcamp.









HEYWARD HOWKINS
Official Site: http://www.heywardhowkins.com
Bandcamp: http://heywardhowkins.bandcamp.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heyward-Howkins/135648793142252
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HeywardHowkins


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter @whatfireshesaid

Featured: The Boxing Plot