Featured Artist: The Boxing Plot


On the first play of Geist, I was honestly surprised. When a music lands on my inbox, I hope for the best before I hit play, though to be honest I learned not to expect so much. But this time was different. I was really rather impressed.

A four-piece band from Dublin, The Boxing Plot started out in 2009 and are comprised of chaps Harry Ó Cléirigh on vocals and guitar, Oscar Leonard on bass and backing vocals, Maurice Healy on drums, and Oliver Kelly on guitar. After releasing their first music video by the end of 2012, which garnered attention towards their music, the following year was all uphill for The Boxing Plot. In 2013, they performed at Hard Working Class Heroes Festival, Ireland's annual music festival for emerging bands, and even won Budweiser's 'Future Sounds' project--a gig which landed them an opportunity to work with legendary producer Rob Kirwan of bands like U2 and Flood.

Just a few days ago, they released their newest single, Heidecker, which the band tells me is named after one of their favorite comedians, Tim Heidecker. "The video was made as a sort of homage to his work (by being generally repulsive)," Oliver shares. Heidecker speaks tons about The Boxing Plot--a diamond in the rough, full of potential, out of a sea of emerging music where genuinely good bands are few and far between. They remind me a lot of The Smiths, especially with the hints of post-punk influences here and there, but it's the vocals that gives it away. When asked though, the band will tell you that their music is directly influenced by Radiohead, The National and Wild Beasts.

You be the judge. Listen to Heidecker here:



From Dublin? The Boxing Plot has a launch gig at The Grand Social on January 10th and will be playing at the Ones To Watch Festival on the 11th. Catch them if you can!



THE BOXING PLOT


1 comments:

  1. Hi
    This specific is really a excellent post, My spouse and i was looking for this specific from very long time, although just one problem today I have, am i allowed to edit almost any review people I have witout a doubt does previous.

    ReplyDelete

 

Twitter @whatfireshesaid

Featured: The Boxing Plot