WFSS Picks: Top 20 Favorite Tracks of 2013

It's the last day of 2013! As an ode to a good year of music that was, I've put up together a list (and a playlist--you're welcome) of my top 20 favorite tracks released this year. Some, arguably the best releases, too (e.g. Foals, Chvrches, TDCC). So come on, bring out your bottles of champagne, wine, beer, etc. and let's make this New Year right with good music to boot.



1. Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys
Album: AM
Release: September 2013

From that sexy intro, to Alex Turner's irresistible vocals? Seriously. I don't know how this song can't be on anyone's list. Arctic Monkeys is one of indie rock's finest. And that is an inarguable fact.

2. Drove Me Wild - Tegan and Sara
Album: Hearttrob
Release: January 2013

"When I think of you, I think of your skin, golden brown from the sun. When I picture you, I think of you smile and it drives me wild." This song conjures up butterflies in my stomach and makes me want to squeal like I'm in high school all over again. Plus, I saw these twins perform live a month ago, and they were amazing. I wrote all about it here.

3. Flaws - Bastille
Album: Bad Blood
Release: March 2013

Bastille has quickly made its way up to my short list of favorite bands. Dan Smith is incredibly talented, though I admit I prefer all of the stripped down or live versions of their songs rather than the studio ones. Plus, I guess it also helps that this dude can pass for a Banana Republic model or something. But I promise he's not all face; have you really listened to the lyrics of Flaws? It is extremely beautiful. The lyrics are here.

4. Dancing On My Own (Robyn cover) - Carousel
Album: Single/Cover
Release: June 2013

Robyn originally sang this song. And I love it (especially when they played it on such a perfect moment on HBO's Girls). But the thing is, I love Carousel's version even more. Carousel is one of my most favorite bands. Everything they touch, turns golden.

5. Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Album: Random Access Memories
Release: May 2013

DAFT. PUNK. Do I even have to explain this??!

6. Safe and Sound - Capital Cities
Album: In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery
Release: June 2013

The first time I heard this song, I was inside Stradivarius looking at some clothes. I quickly Shazamed the song upon hearing it on the store radio. It's been a constant play on my scrobblers ever since.

7. Trying To Be Cool - Phoenix
Album: Bankrupt!
Release: April 2013

Trying To Be Cool. You know, like this list.

8. Youth - Daughter
Album: If You Leave
Release: March 2013

"If you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones. 'Cos most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs." I will always have a soft spot for melancholic indie folk music in my cold, cold heart, and consequently, for bands like Daughter. This band reminds me a lot of Gregory and the Hawk, too, and you know I just love her.

9. I Should Live In Salt - The National
Album: Trouble Will Find Me
Release: May 2013

I admit I don't love the songs in this album as much I do their earlier works (Fake Empire, Slow Show, Exile Vilify), but Matt Berninger's voice just gets me every time. And I Should Live In Salt is a special little song.

10. All Night - Icona Pop
Album: This Is
Release: September 2013

These girls are my spirit animals. They just get me.

11. Josh McBride - The Head and The Heart
Album: Let's Be Still
Release: October 2013

I didn't find a song in this album quite as special as Rivers and Roads from their previous album (which was featured in WFSS's first ever playlist), but Josh McBride is a close call. The lyrics are quite really special, and I just love it, somehow. Listen to it closely!

12. Hannah Hunt - Vampire Weekend
Album: Modern Vampires of the City
Release: May 2013

I'd like Hannah Hunt to be the story of my life, sometime. Especially if Ezra Koenig will be writing it for me.

13. Rolling Waves - The Naked and Famous
Album: In Rolling Waves
Release: September 2013

Listening to The Naked and Famous never fails to get me out of an otherwise bad morning. And Rolling Waves is as relaxing as the song title sounds, from Alisa Xayalith's first intro with that sweet, caressing vocals, to those familiar Naked and Famous synths that we love present from beginning till end.

14. Inhaler - Foals
Album: Holy Fire
Release: February 2013

Possibly one of the most popular releases of 2013. These guys have been around since 2008, but only now are they getting the attention they so rightly deserve. Inhaler has been listed a couple of times as one of the best indie rock albums of 2013, and even won best track at the 2013 NME Awards. Inhaler is an electrifying, powerful track that will make the hair at the back of your neck stand. At least that's what it did for me the first time I heard it.

15. Alive - Empire of the Sun
Album: Ice On The Dune
Release: June 2013

Personally one of my most favorite tracks of 2013. Alive has been remixed many a times, and there are quite some good ones, but nothing still compares to the beguiling electropop goodness that is the original track. Empire of the Sun captures in this track what it is all really about--the gift of feeling simply alive. This song is an instant pick-me-upper; just close your eyes and let it take you.

16. Over You Again - The Dig
Album: Tired Hearts EP
Release: June 2013

The Dig is an underrated band. Seriously. These guys deserve so much more views/likes/attention that they currently have. The band sounds like Fort Atlantic, only with less folk and more on heavy bass. And it sounds darn good. Listen to I Already Forgot Everything You Said and Break The Silence as well, both released in an earlier album, and let the songs speak for the band.

17. Details Of My World - Letting Up Despite Great Faults
Album: Untogether
Release: July 2013

Okay, I cheated. This one was released in 2012. Although the music video was released in July 2013. Letting Up is one of my favorite bands. I am a sucker for synths and dream pop, and this band has both. Their music video is awesome too, so what the heck. I just had to put it in here. We also featured another Letting Up track, In Steps, in WFSS' summer playlist.

18. Chocolate (Acoustic) - The 1975
Album: The 1975
Release: September 2013

I've heard a lot of mixed reactions for this band, and though those feedback are on the extreme opposite sides of the spectrum, I'd have to go with the side that taps their foot when The 1975 comes on. Chocolate is one of the best tracks in the band's debut album, and though some say the studio version is better, I personally like the acoustic more.

19. The Mother We Share - Chvrches
Album: The Bones of What You Believe
Release: September 2013

I think you'd all agree when I say Chvrches are one of the biggest bands in the indie music scene this year. I mean, they are literally everywhere. We're not complaining, though, especially when the lead vocal has a face of an angel. The Mother We Share sports the 80's influence that seems like a popular style these days (HAIM, Tegan and Sara, Chairlift, etc.), but we're not complaining on that subject, either. So long as it's good music, then please. Keep it comin'.

20. Changing Of The Seasons - Two Door Cinema Club
Album: Changing of the Seasons
Release: August 2013

I love that Changing Of The Seasons still brands the familiar TDCC sound that fans love about them. Ever danceable, I see this track playing behind scenes of champagne popping and  intimate get-togethers. It's the New Year's after all, and the title is all but accurate.


Stream the playlist here:



Do you agree with our list? What's on your top 20? Let us know in the comments below. Enjoy the music, and Happy New Year everybody!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Twitter @whatfireshesaid

Featured: The Boxing Plot